Sangria is an easy cocktail made from an infusion of Spanish red wine and fresh fruit. It looks fancy, feels festive, and it’s great for making ahead of time. Plus, ‘tis the season for all things red!
You could also make a local CNY-inspired rendition of Sangria with mandarin oranges and pineapple!
In case you didn’t know, Sangria has its roots in Spain but over time it has become a classic wine cocktail that is endlessly adaptable. If you’ve been to Spain before, Sangria is a popular drink among the tourists. Under European law, all Sangria must be produced in Spain and have less than 12 per cent alcohol by volume.
Check out the recipe below and share with your friends. You can even try different fruit juices and sugar varieties.
Traditional Red Sangria (6 Servings)
- 1.5 bottles of young table wine don’t waste top-quality wine on sangria but don’t use something that’s sure to give you a hangover either! Any fruity, full-bodied, dry red Spanish wine will do.
- 2 Oranges
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Cinnamon stick or 1/3 Cup of Brandy
- 3 Tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1 Green apple (optional)
- 2 Peaches or apricots
- Carbonated beverage lemon soda, orange soda, or soda water
- Chop the fruits and make sure to leave the peels on and put them into the pitcher.
- Pour red wine and fruits into the pitcher and stir them.
- Add the cinnamon stick and let it sit in the pitcher for at least two hours (or preferably overnight) before serving over ice and your choice of soda water. This allows the sangria to take on the aromas of the fruit rind and cinnamon stick.
- Lastly, if you want it to be sweeter, dissolve the 3 tablespoons of sugar over low heat which turns them into a syrup and add them into the pitcher.
Tip: If you do not have a cinnamon stick, consider adding 1/3 cup of brandy in the mix.
Get your fix of Sangria at GetIt by Changi Recommends!
Lolea hails from Spain and is known for its bottled Sangria available in two flavours: Red or White.
Enjoy same or next day delivery when you shop at GetIt by Changi Recommends!